Gov. Phil Murphy announced on Twitter this morning that restaurants can reopen Sept. 4 for indoor dining at 25% capacity – with face coverings and social distancing measures in place. The specific rules are similar to his announcement earlier in the summer, when he said indoor dining would resume on July 2. He cancelled those plans “for the foreseeable future” on June 29 as COVID-19 cases were rising across the country.
New Jersey Business & Industry Association President and CEO Michele Siekerka said in a statement released earlier this morning that the “decision by Governor Murphy to heed the strong call to reopen indoor dining with limited capacity before the holiday weekend is appreciated, but unfortunately long overdue.”
Most restaurant owners were able to reopen their doors in a safe and responsible manner when they were originally permitted to do so with limited capacity on July 2, Siekerka said. (click here for Siekerka’s full statement)
Murphy’s announcement comes as a rally by restaurants and supporters is planned at the State House Annex in Trenton this Wednesday at 1 pm. Organized by a Facebook group called “NJ Food and Beverage Workers,” unemployed restaurant, bar and hospitality workers are expected to attend.
More news on indoor dining specifics will be reported on later this afternoon on NJBT.
To access more business news, visit NJB News Now.Related Articles: