Power Lines

NJ Board of Public Utilities Launches Improvements to Direct Install Program

The New Jersey Board of Public Utilities’ (BPU) New Jersey’s Clean Energy Program™ (NJCEP) launched improvements in its Direct Install Program, a turnkey solution that makes it easy and affordable for existing small to medium-sized businesses, municipalities and schools to upgrade to high efficiency equipment.  The enhanced Direct Install Program (DI) increases outreach to potential customers, streamlines procedures and reduces costs for the customer.

“The Direct Install Program will continue to help New Jersey businesses and local governments in their on-going efforts to reduce energy use and save money,” said Richard S. Mroz, President of the N.J. Board of Public Utilities.  “Governor Christie’s Energy Master Plan supports energy conservation programs and increasing the business community’s awareness of the benefits of energy efficiency improvements that help them save on energy bills and reduce energy costs for all ratepayers.”

The NJCEP implements the State Energy Master Plan’s support of energy conservation by promoting and incentivizing increased use of high energy efficient and renewable energy technologies.  The results for New Jersey are a stronger economy, less pollution, lower energy costs and reduced demand for energy.  DI has been a cornerstone of NJCEP’s Commercial and Industrial energy efficiency program and will continue to focus on New Jersey’s small to medium businesses and local governments.  The updated program will reduce administrative costs passing the saving onto program participants, along with energy savings.

Eight contractors will be assigned to ten geographic territories statewide. Additionally, one lighting supplier and one refrigeration supplier have been added to the program. Theses program partners will provide turnkey equipment replacement to reduce energy costs for small business customers and municipalities whose facilities have peak electric demands not exceeding 200 kW.

NJCEP covers 70 percent of the installed project costs. The customer will pay for the remaining 30 percent of the costs of the upgrades. Customers installing eligible equipment under the program will receive financial assistance to encourage the early replacement of existing inefficient equipment with high-efficiency alternatives. Systems and equipment eligible for incentives include: lighting, lighting controls, motors, variable frequency drives, refrigeration, HVAC, and HVAC/hot water controls.

The DI contractors will market and deliver the program to customers; perform energy assessments; and inventory customer’s existing equipment to identify energy efficiency measures eligible for incentives.  The contractors will then install measures according to an installation agreement with the customer.

More than 5,600 New Jersey businesses and local governments have benefited from DI since its inception. The program has surpassed $100 million in total incentives.

NJCEP offers energy efficiency incentives for both new construction as well as existing buildings. For more information on how your business or municipality may benefit from the various programs, please visit the NJCEP website at www.NJCleanEnergy.com/DI or contact an NJCEP representative at 866-NJSMART.

Related Articles: